a miracle memorial

Have you ever experienced that second lease on life sensation?  The most alive I ever felt was the summer I walked out of Riverside Hospital after a 50/50 chance of surviving a life-threatening blood clot.  Two weeks earlier, I went to Mary Immaculate Hospital for oral surgery that I elected to have.  I stayed in bed for two days there and then went home to rest for another week.  What was supposed to be a time of healing became instead a breeding ground for Deep Vein Thrombosis.  By the time I sought medical attention for a very swollen and painful left leg, the clotting extended from my calf to just below my left lung.

Surgery was something I heard the radiologist talk about with my husband, but the medical device he needed was new and not available at his hospital.  He wanted to quickly get to work on the clot, so I was immediately rolled down the hall and into the special procedures room.  I remember seeing Jon standing there in the hallway with a look of fear on his face.

The doctor started an intravenous drug that worked like a liquid drano for the veins.  He also did some manipulation of the clot through the use of a catheter and instrumentation he fed through it.  The next morning I went back to the special procedure room for round two.  The X-ray imaging showed great progress from the night before.  In fact, my doctor reported to family and friends that the clot’s early response to the treatment was miraculous.

I remained in ICU three days and was then released to a different floor.  The ICU stay was an experience I will never forget.  I was in a lot of pain, although I do not remember associating any of my pain with the clot.  I was incredibly stiff from not being able to move.  For those three days, I stayed still on my back so as to not cause any of the clot to break lose and travel to my lungs.  If that would have occurred, they made it clear that a resulting stroke could lead to death.

I had no desire to pray for myself other than to ask my heavenly Father to send my husband to me during the night to somehow reach under my back and massage the tight muscles.  And he came- at 1 a.m.!

A week later, I left the hospital with a fresh appreciation for pain-free movement.  I was very weak, but I was alive.

Over the next few months, I visited my surgeon’s office for post-operation check-ups, and we discovered that my front tooth was turning grey- a sign of its dying, he said.  I saw the orthodontist who confirmed the surgeon’s report and stated that my dentist would have to do a root canal.  I honestly did not know what all was involved in a root canal, but I did know that this body was done with surgery and procedures.  Like the lepers who cried out to Jesus when He passed them by, I simply said, “Lord, have mercy on me.”  And just like the lepers experienced divine healing as they went on their way, I, too, was miraculously healed from the dying tooth!  The process of decay was reversed, and the tooth returned to a healthy color.  I asked both the orthodontist and dentist at my next appointments if they had ever seen that happen, and both replied, “Never.”

I love my God and praise Him for His miraculous work of healing!  He has always proven Himself faithful to me in every way:  spiritually, physically, relationally and financially, so I have no reason to doubt His love!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: